Friday, August 3, 2007

RE:Aluminum, Stainless Steel, and Fiber Glass-Cost Comparison

Sid
I think to figure this out you need to souce the components like a contractor would.  do some preliminary calcs to get member sizes the call the suppliers to figure out material costs.  Talk with the local fabrication shop or contractor to see what they are able or willing to build for you.  I think your structure is too unique and cost generalization won't work.
 
 
Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering
 
 
 
Subject: Aluminum, Stainless Steel, and Fiber Glass-Cost Comparison
From: "Lakhani, Sid" <slakhani@ebmud.com>
To: <seaint@seaint.org>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7D530.E36F12FC
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am posting this question again.

=20

I have designed a service platform with fiber glass grating with:

=20

Live load 100 psf

Grating span 4 ft

Support beams C12 aluminum (11 ft span)

Support Columns 4 inch aluminum pipe

Approximate Area 500 sq ft

=20

I am revising the support beam and columns materials to Stainless Steel
or Fiber Glass.

I would like to know the cost comparison.  Can any body inform me
approximate costs per lb for aluminum, stainless steel and fiber glass
alternatives?

=20

Thanks!

=20

Sid Lakhani