Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Re: 11 x 17 copiers / scanners (was 12 x 18 printers)

Jerold
I leased a Xerox Workcentre Pro 416S about 3 years ago and it is one of
the best moves I ever made. Whatever machine you buy, you can scan other
peoples drawings, old drawings etc and store them electronically. I have
reduced my paper files (11x17) by approx 18" (20 years accumulation) and
I am still scanning stuff for archiving.
Gary

jerold taylor wrote:
>
> I look forward to others commenting more on the 12x18 printers
> that are good for home offices (FWIW - I have an HP1220C that is
> about 4 years old and it is fine, though slow, for printing 11 x 17).
> What I was also curious about was if anyone has discovered an
> 11x17 copier / scanner that is efficient for a home office? I
> still do quite a bit of hand sketches from the home office and
> having a dependable copier /scanner in that size would be a
> wonderful tool. Color would be nice, but I would be satisfied with
> B/W as well.
> Thanks
> Jerold
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Shaun Dustin [mailto:sdustin@cc.usu.edu]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:10 PM
> *To:* seaint@seaint.org
> *Subject:* RE: 12 x 18 printers
> Jeff,
> I have a couple that I use for ½ size plots, although I usually
> use 11x17, not 12x18. (I use 22x34 for my full size drawings, so
> this is not a big deal for me)
> I have an HP Designjet 9800 that works pretty well, but ink is
> expensive. The footprint can be reduced by folding the trays in,
> but you have to keep the tray-out footprint clear so you end up
> with a big space whether the printer is collapsed or not. It works
> VERY well, and I'm very happy with it. I don't like buying inkjet
> cartridges for it, and I don't like the speed. It's inkjet, and
> it's a little on the slow side. The image quality, especially in
> color, is great. I think it was $450 or so at Staples.
> I also have a Laserjet5si that I got on ebay for $79 (plus $100
> shipping). It takes up a little more space (22" x 22" square) than
> the expanded Designjet, but it has two 500 sheet trays where I
> keep 11x17 and 8.5x11, you can get a duplexer for it if you are
> into that for $85 or so on ebay, and the toner works out to less
> than 0.02/page. It was designed for a much larger throughput than
> I will ever give it, so I'm pretty sure it will last as long as my
> "one man show" phase. I've been very impressed with this printer.
> I got it on a whim because I was frustrated with the slow speed of
> the DesignJet, and this thing just cranks drawings and documents
> out. It also came with a jetdirect card, but I haven't been able
> to get that working.
> If you can't tell, I really like the laserjet. I like the
> Designjet too, but the laserjet makes me much more productive.
> Plotting a sample drawing to carry around and redline is cheap and
> easy, and the lines don't bleed when you get them wet.
> Shaun
> Shaun Dustin, MS, PE
> Doctoral Candidate
> USTAR Biofuels Initiative
> Utah State University
> 4130 Old Main Hill
> Logan, UT 84322
> sdustin@cc.usu.edu <mailto:sdustin@dustinengineers.net>
> 435-770-7816
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7@comcast.net]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:49 AM
> *To:* seaint@seaint.org
> *Subject:* 12 x 18 printers
> I am looking for a home printer to do 1/2 size plots of 24 x 36
> AutoCAD and PDF drawings, color is not that important but I need
> to do 8-1/2 x 11 general printing as well, prefer a small
> footprint since my office is small. Seems every printer I Iook at
> has a few really bad reviews. Any thoughts appreciated.
> Jeff
> I was thinking maybe something like the HP K850 or Canon Pixma
> Pro9000
>

http://www.amazon.com/Officejet-Printer-format-Color-Inkjet/dp/B000BP8AXI
>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J1HPK8/ref=pd_cp_e_1/103-4439189-4779848?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0C4SMRCE0CVR7GCMWCEY&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B000BP8AXI
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J1HPK8/ref=pd_cp_e_1/103-4439189-4779848?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0C4SMRCE0CVR7GCMWCEY&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B000BP8AXI>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
*

http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********