Monday, November 5, 2007

Re: Structural Engineering Spreadsheets


Hmm...
I have downloaded the retaining wall spreadsheet, which as I understand, is free for non-commercial use.

Here are my 2 cents:
I see these guys didn't work too hard as for a non-freeware product. In particular, there is only a very weak checking for wrong input. I use a very similar spreadsheet for foundation bottom pressure and soil settlement which also automates geological profile processing. It checks its input and pops up warnings when I enter, say, two kilometers for column foundation width, and is distributed for free.

Anyway, the website states that it's your liability if you unlock the spreadsheets by force, since it can then yield wrong results. Why not save a separate copy and ulock it just to check the formulas?

--
Alexander Bausk
CAD manager, Structural engineer at
Nuclear Engineering&Research Lab
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine