Tuesday, December 11, 2007

RE: Great ASCE7 spreadsheet / ComboBoxes

Thanks.

 

Originally, I developed this to answer this question: “What in the world is this function good for?” It became good enough to use regularly in my library.

 

As Dennis Wish already mentioned, I also use Index and Match functions, but I use them for my anchor bolt and expansion bolt tables which brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves. Why can’t the manufacturers (Redhead, Simpson, Hilti, etc.) get together and come up with a standard capacity for specific edge distances, embedment and spacing? All of them are different! Arghhhh!!!!

 

Regards,

 

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers
 
V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: Padmanabhan Rajendran [mailto:rakamaka@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:32 AM
To:
seaint@seaint.org
Subject: Re: Great ASCE7 spreadsheet / ComboBoxes

 

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I learned something new and determined that INDIRECT function could be a powerful tool in several engineering calculations.

Have a great holiday season.

Rajendran

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Allen <t.w.allen@cox.net>
To: seaint@seaint.org
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2007 9:50:07 AM
Subject: RE: Great ASCE7 spreadsheet / ComboBoxes

Thanks for the info, Conrad.

My best example of using the indirect function is in selecting the type of
wood beam I want to design. This example is much better than apples and
trees that Microsoft uses. I often design wood beams of different
properties; sawn beams, Glu-Lam beams (GLB) and Parallel Strand Laminated
(PSL) beams.

I first set up a validation list to select the type of beam (Sawn, GLB or
PSL). Whichever I choose, the options for the different sizes change based
on my selection. In other words, if I want to design a sawn beam, I have a
list consisting of 2x4, 4x8 or 6x12. If I want to design a GLB, my list
consists of 3-1/8"x12", 5-1/8"x18" or 6-3/4"x24". If I want to design a PSL
beam, my list would change to 3-1/2"x11-1/4", 5-1/2"x14" or 7"x20". From
there, you could have simple lookup commands to fetch section properties
such as the beam width and beam depth (among other things).

This procedure (at least the way I do it) requires named ranges. To assist
in the visualization, I've included a sample. Note: there are no VBA scripts
in this example so don't worry about a virus.

Have fun!

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers

 

 


Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.