Friday, January 4, 2008

RE: Glass guardrail support

We have a rule-of-thumb span/175 for glazing systems eg storefront etc.  For railings we have a monstrous 42mm (1.5").
 
I wouldn't go near any railing that deflected that much ...

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, MIStructE, Struct Eng
Victoria, BC
Canada
vicpeng@telus.net

 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:47 PM
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: RE: Glass guardrail support

Do hand rails, glass or otherwise, have deflection requirements? I have never found it, but I prefer something very solid.
 
Jeff 

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:40 PM
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: RE: Glass guardrail support

Back in years gone by we simply required the guard rails to be tested after they were installed.  I was amazed how much glass could bend, but they performed well, and I slept well. 

Regards,
Harold Sprague