Sunday, June 28, 2009

RE: crimping of aluminum




Crimping, and tags & slots are common in residential steel framing. As far as I know they are assessed by testing.


They are just one form of mechanical fastening common in plastics and suitable metals. The crimping connections are basically an interference press fit, forming a shear lug. I wouldn’t rely on the interference fit to resist force, but the lug in shear is similar to a rivet. I’m assuming the crimping involves forming a plug on one member and a socket on the other and then forcing them together all in one operation: or group of such plugs and sockets. Not just crushing one member tightly around the other.


Books on mechanical or integral fastening methods should provide design guidance. I vaguely recollect that one of the handbooks by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME (US)) covers joining/assembly and includes some guidance: if you have access to a suitable library.




Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust


South Australia