Wednesday, June 24, 2009

RE: Excel Sheet for Free Standing Frame IBC 2006 Chapter 15

I was wondering the same thing! It would seem more like a 5 minute hand calc. (oops, I'm showing my age)
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley, CA


From: t.w.allen@cox.net
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: RE: Excel Sheet for Free Standing Frame IBC 2006 Chapter 15
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:11:28 -0700

Just curious, but are you saying it would take you 8 hours to write a spreadsheet that would determine the base shear for a simple free standing platform?

 

 

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers
 
V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: ken ng [mailto:zy7up@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:58 AM
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: Re: Excel Sheet for Free Standing Frame IBC 2006 Chapter 15

 

The spreadsheet was created by another engineer who used company computer and time to create these spreasheet.  He left the company, without unlock the spreadsheet. 

 

I did not plan to buy excel speadsheet.  I did not plan to spend another 8 hour on reinvent the same spreadshet.  I thought spreadsheet is just like another word document free to shear and not mean to invold any legal, ethic or cheating.

 


From: Drew Morris <dmorris@bbfm.com>
To: seaint@seaint.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:42:14 AM
Subject: Re: Excel Sheet for Free Standing Frame IBC 2006 Chapter 15

It sounds like the locked spreadsheet is demo only showing what it looks like.  If purchased, I assume the spreadsheet author would have sent a password/unlock key or something of this sort.  Since this was not done, it appears that someone is trying to get something for free.

Richard Calvert wrote:

I know of a legal, well known program that will open excel files without any security – but I'm reluctant to share here… does anyone know whether I would be in violation of any rules or laws if I did share?

 


From: ken ng [mailto:zy7up@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:58 PM
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: Excel Sheet for Free Standing Frame IBC 2006 Chapter 15

 

I have small free standing platform.  I found an Excel sheet to calculate seismic base shear base on IBC 2003, chapter 9.  But some one installed a lock.  Therefore, no change or edit is allowed even the text.

 

Can some one share an Excel copy that not lock.

TIA

 

 



Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.