Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Re: Whimsy was: Flexure vs. Cable Action in a solid rod.

Harold:
 
To quote one of my least favorite presidents, "I can feel your pain".  He used to be my absolute least favorite, but that has recently changed.
 
Two or three years ago, I invested heavily in Bank of America, CitiGroup, Washington Mutual, and AIG.  Then I got busy at work, and overloaded with volunteer service, and completely neglected my investment portfolio.  Now I wake up each day telling myself how much I enjoy my day job, because I realize that I will be doing it longer than I had originally planned.  It's not all bad.  I now enjoy a record backlog and have expanded my structures group 78% since the beginning of the year.  Not one dollar of that backlog is from anybody's stimulus package, but I am stimulated nevertheless.
 
If I had invented the mouse, it probably would have been called the rat and it would have been killed at birth. 
 
Stan

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope@hotmail.com> wrote:
I met a guy on a plane going to San Fran a few months ago.  He was a former engineer who now lives on a boat in Mexico.  He was going to San Fran for a reunion.  He was one of the inventors of the mouse.  The inventors of the mouse were getting together for a reunion.  Now he lives on his boat in Mexico.  I have his business card and have looked him up on the internet.  He cruises here and there with his wife.  I would send SEAINT the link to his web site, but that would be tough for all of us to take.  I look at it from time to time when I have a bad day.  ....and then I feel worse. 
 
.....Damn!!  I was planning on inventing the mouse, but I was busy with some girl at the time.  Instead of inventing the mouse, I got divorced and invested heavily in GM and Citi Corp and any other stock that tanked.  ...chain me to the desk!!
 
...I am going to buy myself a beer and look at his web site!!

Regards, Harold Sprague


 
> From: chrisw@skypoint.com
> Subject: Re: Flexure vs. Cable Action in a solid rod.
> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:21:12 -0500
> To: seaint@seaint.org
>
>
> On Jun 24, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
>
> > I am going to show this to my wife so that when I win the lottery,
> > she will let me quit.
> I figured if I ever came into an 8 figure settlement of any kind, I'd
> still keep working, but only on interesting stuff. The engineering
> biz is generally fun, but imagine how sweet it'd be if you really
> were your own boss. Vacations on a whim, no scrabbling for work, good-
> bye bottom feeders and a remodeled office with actual storage space.
>
> Damn. Now I'll be mentally re-working my office for the next hour.
>
> Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
> chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
> .......................................| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania
> 1864)
> http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/
>
>
>
> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> *
> * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
> * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
> * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
> * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
> * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org
> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********


Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits. Check it out.