Friday, September 11, 2009

Cross-grain Compressive Strain in Timber

I'm doing some casual analysis of metal support plates bolted to the side
of, say, a built-up 2x10 beam. If I try to use, eg, concrete section
analogy, I need to know a strain modulus for the timber (yeah, I know timber
doesn't behave like concrete). What cross grain modulus might I use?

Eg: conc = .0035, masonry = .003, steel = .002 I could see a virtual SE =
.007? I know that ASTM tests to develop bearing stresses and lengths invoke
the concept of strain = del L/L and I also am aware that the value must be
very variable espec with MC.

Again, if I use strain compatibility analysis, I have to know what value to
use for the strain modulus .

Thanks

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE
Victoria, BC
Tel: (250) 382-9115

hst_ngc4414_9925Please consider the environment before printing out this
e-mail