Monday, November 2, 2009

Back to ACI Appendix 'D' Bolt Head Question

When designing a holdown anchorbolt I.A.W. ACI appendix D, the bearing area of the headed bolt is used in the calculation. Our office is using a spreadsheet created by Daniel T. Li, which can be purchased online. In his spreadsheet, there is a list of 5 different types of headed bolts to choose from.

I looked in the Notes on ACi 318-05, chapter 34, D.1 table 34-2 which displays the same table with head type and properties that is listed in the aforementioned spreadsheet.

I also looked in the current Steel construction manual from AISC, specifications section 16.2-10 and there is a table listing properties for heavy hex bolts and nuts.

I have called many construction suppliers here in Southern California and many have never heard of heavy hex head, or any of the other bolt head types that are specified in table 34-2. I have also had contractors call me and tell me that they can't find them.

Does anyone have any additional information that might be helpfull, as to the availability of these headed bolt types?

I realize I can specify any head type that works but this spreadsheet is locked to the listed types I have mentioned and it is what the owner wants to use.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********