Friday, September 2, 2011

Re: Hey, I got a friend...

On September 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM Scott Maxwell <> wrote:

> As Matthew said, your friend is basically right.  Many states require a COA/"firm registration" of any engineering company (i.e. LLC, Inc, etc) "practicing engineering" (aka "sealing drawings") for projects in their state.




The rules for the few states I've looked at say something like " Disciplinary action against a business organization shall be administered in the same manner and on the same grounds as disciplinary action against a licensed engineer."


So...what about the engineer employed by the company doing the sealing? If my friend were to obtain a license in Bophututswana, and the company declines to obtain a Bophututswanan Certificate of Authority and are caught and dinged for it, what is the potential liability for my friend here?


I can see them saying "you knew or should have known that the company at which you are employed and for whom you were sealing and signing documents, did not have a Bophututswanan Certificate of Authority, so you're fined and your license is suspended," etc.


More thoughts?