Saturday, December 10, 2011

Re: EXIST'G METAL BLDG-NO DRAWINGS

Assume minimal reinforcing of the footings. Modify the base connections for epoxy anchors and add concrete mass as needed for added uplift resistance. That be cheaper than doing X-ray ndt and destructive investigative demo to only confirm the minimal reinforcing in the footings.

Depending where your pemb is located, assume absolute minimums on everything. Good luck with that project.

David Topete
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 10, 2011, at 5:52 AM, William Haynes <gtg740p@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a project about to start that I am not looking forward to already. They want to close the ends of a metal building that I would expect to be in the 20 year old range at least based on the pictures I have seen. I am planning on going out and measuring all the flanges and webs (which I am sure vary in width and thickness along each frame) and locate all the existing member brace locations, and get purlin and girt thicknesses so I can check strut forces and wind load bending on these also. I plan on remodeling the building under current wind. The building is in the 100x200 ft range.
>
> I have recommended hiring a company to dig out around a couple of foundations so I can get a footing size estimate since we do not have foundation drawings either. I am not sure how I am going to be able to determine the anchor rod embedment, or what size the existing reinforcing (if any) is at least at the top of the footings as uplift will govern.
>
> Anyone dealt with this kind of situation before and have any advice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Will H

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********