Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Re: seaint Digest for 6 Dec 2011

No, that's a "waler." A "whaler" is a ship used for hunting whales; also, a member of her crew.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Sent from my iPad 2

On Dec 7, 2011, at 11:39 AM, "Oshin Tosounian" <> wrote:

> Palmer,
> A whaler is a horizontal beam member that goes in front of vertical soldier
> piles in an excavation to distribute the lateral thrust of the soil from the
> soldier piles to tie-back anchors or kickers.