Friday, September 11, 2009

Re: concrete anchorage using appendix D of ACI-318-05

Salvador,
 
        As I read this you have 335 kips of uplift; concrete weighs about 4 kips per cubic yard; so you need 335/4 = 84 cubic yards of dead weight concrete to hold this down, not including a safety factor.
 
        Am I missing something?
 
Regards,
 
H. Daryl Richardson
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: concrete anchorage using appendix D of ACI-318-05

Hi,

            Is anyone able to provide me with a sample calc for anchoring a brace frame base plate to concrete.  The uplift load I have is 335 kips. I have worked on it but the size I obtain for the grade beam size to resist the uplift load in breakout seems quite high.  I have to use a 6'6" grade beam and embed the anchors at least 60 inches in order to get it to work.   Any feedback would be great.   Thank you.