Thursday, September 22, 2011

Re: Epoxy in granite?

A belated thanks for the steel and adhesive specification advice.
Iker

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope@hotmail.com> wrote:
Iker,
 
Concrete products are not necessarily effective in granite.  Concrete is a bonded composite material.  Stone is a bit different and only one of the elements comprising concrete.  I would suggest that you use a specialty firm like Bonstone http://www.bonstone.com/
 
Definitely use stainless steel. 

Regards, Harold Sprague
 

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:06:33 -0700
Subject: Epoxy in granite?
From: iker.danolcam@gmail.com
To: seaint@seaint.org


Greetings list,
I have  client for whom I need to design concrete supports for granite monument markers. 
1) Am I incorrect to assume I can conservatively use concrete values for epoxy dowels for anchorage to the granite?
2) Should I specify stainless or galvanized rebar to protect against corrosion for the rebar to be doweled into the granite to prevent cracking?
Thank you,
Iker Donalcam