Thursday, October 6, 2011

RE: Identify steel I-beam

I don't think X-Ray will get you close enough for engineering dimensions. It's difficult enough to distinguish between a #4 bar and #5 bar with X-Ray. Besides, X-Ray is a difficult technology to work with. You pretty much have to clear the area for quite some distance. Sonar is probably just as effective, but will also not give you dimensions.

 

I recommend you chip and repair.

 

 

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

32302 Camino Capistrano, #206

San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

V (949) 248-8588•F (949) 209-2509

 

 

 

From: h.d.richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson@shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:38 AM
To: seaint@seaint.org
Subject: Re: Identify steel I-beam

 

Irv,

 

        I believe you can take X-ray photographs of the column and measure the photograph.  Check with the people who do this sort of thing.

 

Regards,

 

H. Daryl Richardson

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:24 AM

Subject: Identify steel I-beam

 

Fellow Engineers,
Is there a way to determine dimensions of an I-beam, encased in a square concrete column, to find its elastic properties, instead of chipping out the concrete?
Thanks,
Irv